Best 2 Ways to Lock Folders in Windows – Data and all matters of privacy on a computer are an absolute right for us as computer owners. Some people may not want the data on their computer to be accessed by other people, even worse by being misused by others. Therefore, securing our computer data is the first step we need to do.
2 Ways to Lock Folders in Windows, Secure Your Important Folder Right Now!
There are several ways to secure data on a computer, one of them by giving a password to your important folder. In this tutorial, I will explain how to lock folders on a computer. This tutorial can be applied to several Windows versions, such as Windows XP, 7, 8 or 10.
How do I lock the folder on Windows?
To lock an important folder on your computer, there are two ways I will explain. First by using the software and the second, without using the software.
1. Lock folders without software
1. First, we first create a folder that you want to lock. In this tutorial, I created a folder named Nesaba Media.
2. Enter the folder you created recently (the folder you want to lock), then create a new text file by right-clicking > New > Text Document.
3. Enter the script below into the text file.
cls @ECHO OFF title Folder Private if EXIST "HTG Locker" goto UNLOCK if NOT EXIST Private goto MDLOCKER :CONFIRM echo Are you sure you want to lock the folder(Y/N) set/p "cho=>" if %cho%==Y goto LOCK if %cho%==y goto LOCK if %cho%==n goto END if %cho%==N goto END echo Invalid choice. goto CONFIRM :LOCK ren Private "HTG Locker" attrib +h +s "HTG Locker" echo Folder locked goto End :UNLOCK echo Enter password to unlock folder set/p "pass=>" if NOT %pass%== PASSWORD_DISINI goto FAIL attrib -h -s "HTG Locker" ren "HTG Locker" Private echo Folder Unlocked successfully goto End :FAIL echo Invalid password goto end :MDLOCKER md Private echo Private created successfully goto End :End
4. Change the PASSWORD_DISINI text with the password that you want. For example, I use zakaria123 as the Nesaba Media password folder.
5. After that Save As the text file and name it locker.bat and change Save as type to All Files.
6. After you have finished creating the locker.bat file, please delete the New Text Document file.
7. Double-click the locker file and a folder named Private will automatically appear. Save all your important files in the Private folder.
8. After you have finished placing important files into the Private folder, run the locker file again. You will see a display like a picture below, press the Y button then Enter.
9. Automatically the Private folder (where you store your important files) will disappear.
10. To see the folder, just double-click the locker file. You will see a display like a picture below, then enter the password you created earlier to open it.
11. Taraaa, the Private folder reappears. And if you want to lock and eliminate it again, just double-click the locker folder, press the Y button then Enter.
If you forget the password?
If you forget the password, just right-click the locker file, then select Edit. Change your password in the way described in step number 4.
2. Lock folders with software
The next way you can try to lock your important folder is to use the software. In this tutorial, I use a software called Folder Guard. Follow the steps below to lock the folder using the Folder Guard.
1. Download the software here.
2. When finished, install the software as usual. After installation, you will be asked to create a password as shown below.
3. After that, click Lock, a folder with a password … to add the folder you want to lock.
4. Select Browse for the folder to locate the folder you want to lock.
5. Enter the password to lock the folder in question. Please enter the same password that you created in step number 2. Actually, you can just create a different password for each folder, but to make it easier to remember, the password is the same. After that, select Next.
6. If you have determined the password, please select Finish.
7. To activate the password folder that you have set, click the Protect button as shown below.
8. To check whether it is successful or not, please enter the folder that you gave the password earlier. Now, as you can see in the picture below, it appears that all files contained in Nesaba Media (locked folder) are not there / hidden. To open it, click the Unlock button.
9. Enter the password that you created earlier, then select OK.
10. If the password you entered is correct, all files in the folder will appear. If you want to lock it back, just click the Lock button.
Any other software?
Actually, there is other software that you can try, such as Folder Lock and other similar software. But I think the Folder Guard is more than enough.
- What Is a Modem in Computer Networking? and Functions
- Best Ways To Download Files From Scribd Without Login
- Best Trick To Change JPG to PDF Image Files
The Final Word:
Please specify which method you prefer, without software or using the software. Or do you have a way to lock the folder separately? There is no harm in sharing it in the comment box that is available.
Don’t forget to bookmark and always visit every day at TechOught.com because you will find the latest Technology Android games, Mod Apk, and apps ETC, that we will update every day.